If the California court appoints a child counsel, what is their role?

On Behalf of | Apr 8, 2022 | Family Law |

When you are going through a divorce in California or if your child is involved in a legal, the court will appoint someone to represent them. These people are known as child counsels. Here’s what they do and what you can expect from them as a parent.

Roles of a child counsel in California

The role of a child counsel is to be an advocate for your child and make sure that their voice is heard in all legal proceedings. They will also work to ensure that your child’s rights are protected at all times. This includes making sure that they have access to both parents and any other important people in their lives.

In addition, they also have the role of advising parents on what’s best for their child. They can guide you on decisions concerning child custody or other legal matters involving your kid.

Rights of a child counsel in California

Right to reasonable access to the child: The child counsel has the right to reasonable access to the child to carry out their duties. This includes meeting with the child, speaking with them by telephone, and sending them correspondence.

The right to get corporation from parents: The child counsel should work cooperatively with parents to ensure that the child’s best interests are represented. This includes sharing information and cooperating to resolve any issues.

What to expect from a child counsel

As the child’s parent, who a child counsel represents, you can expect to be kept up-to-date on all proceedings. Your child’s counsel will also give you the opportunity to provide input on your child’s case. If they fail to, you can file with the court to get another corporative counsel.

Child counsels can help parents protect the interest of their children regardless of their situation. But to do this, you need to corporate effectively. If either party is lacking in their roles, you should work to solve it as soon as you can because it’ll only affect your child; not you or the child’s counsel.